Sunday, February 8, 2015

Television

When i was 8, if you accidentally said the H-word
then you better plan on going there.
If you played with toys you were normal.
If you scraped your knee it was okay to cry.
It was okay to go into Mom and Dad's room if you had a nightmare.

When i was 8 --like everybody else-- my favorite color was blue and my favorite food was pizza. The world was a jungle gym waiting to be played on. Trampolines, scooters, and forts for the weekend. 
School was for coloring and four square at recess. It didn't matter who sat by the knight. Bad things only happened on TV and if it's too scary, Mom will turn it off.

At 8 years old, I didn't have to work.

At 8 years old, I wasn't stressed about college.

At 8 years old, I hadn't sinned enough for my parents to say "I'm dissapointed in you".

At 8 years old, I didn't wake up to texts saying my friend killed himself. 
Bandaids Mom gave me could fix my scraped knee but this bandaid is just sealing the casket tighter.

It's time to turn the TV off. Things are getting scary. 

Mom, can i sleep in your room one more time?
Can you hold my hand and lead me through the world?

Tell me not to be scared.

Tell me its just pretend.

Because I want to be 8 again.


W.J. Marz

2 comments:

  1. "Band aids Mom gave me could fix my scraped knee but this bandaid is just sealing the casket tighter."

    this hit me.

    ReplyDelete